So, the Social Media phenomenon is front page news right now and everyone's trying it. For that reason, I felt it was time to share a little observation I have made.
The "Social" in Social Media is what makes this new media so attractive. It's what draws people to you and makes them want to connect and interact with you. Recently it seems that with everyone (including the most recent explosion...businesses) jumping on the bandwagon, there is some sort of confusion.
Please allow me to clarify and share some recommendations on "How to Be Social"!
1. Participate and Contribute - Get plugged in and "get it on" (old car dog lingo) with people. Try not to be the guy that only gets comments and never answers anyone back. People WANT to engage on these sites. Contribute good, accurate, funny or useful information on live feeds, groups, pages and lists.
2. Be Smart and Practice Good Manners/Etiquette - Be smart about what you post, these sites truly have become your online resume. In the wrong hands, this new media can hurt someone as fast as they can help someone. Practice good manners/etiquette such as; Happy Birthday wishes, good comments on others posts, congratulations, thumbs up, re-tweets, #followfriday recommendations, thank you's, give credit where credit is due, help promote your friends family co-workers and the area in which you live etc...
3. Avoid Controversial Topics - There are plenty of places to view controversy! We recommend your Social Media presence does not become a place known for controversy. Avoiding the top 3 (Sex, Drugs and Religion), will help rank you as "like-able and attractive".
4. Avoid Too Many Self Serving Posts - Spam is a big issue in Social Media, marketing your offer without permission is a bugger! Self serving posts/links should be limited. If you have something to offer, a product, a service, an opportunity or a business, focus on sharing good info related to that specific industry. This will help deem you as an expert in your area. I recommend 8 non self serving posts to every 2 self serving posts.
5. Be As You Are - We now live in a world of Personal Branding! The #1 recommendation we can make is be true, be genuine, be yourself. Users of this new media are very savvy to a fake. What makes you unique? Talk about it! Be who you are, talk about whatever it is you are passionate about...Become Your Brand!
Engaging with people is what fuels this new media. Now...go get your social on!