One of the top fashion questions asked by men who are relatively new to the world of mens suits is whether or not an undershirt should be worn under their suit. The simple answer to this fashion question is, yes. It is an undergarment that should always be worn with mens suits. Not only does it complete your look but it keeps perspiration stains from tainting your exclusive dress shirts. Here's some additional tips on undershirt rules.
Varieties of Undershirts
These boil down to three basic types to choose from:
- A-Shirt- Essentially nothing more than a ribbed, tank top. This shirt is often referred to in a negative fashion and should truly be kept to underneath a t-shirt at best. Never wear it under a dress shirt.
- V-neck- This undershirt is exactly what it professes with the neckline in the shape of a V. This appears to be the go-to shirt selection for most men. It is passable for casual and dress shirts but can be seen through more translucent shirts.
- Crewneck- The curved neckline of this undershirt makes it virtually undetectable when combined with a button-up dress shirt and tie.
To Show or Not to Show
Showing your undershirt is a major fashion no-no. Many men may consider it okay for their crewneck undershirt to peek through an open collar. If you only have a crewneck undershirt then only allow it to peek through a casual shirt. In reality, it is best to skip any undershirt that will be playing peek-a-boo with your boss or potential clients. Also, never where an undershirt as outerwear. You'll embarrass everyone including yourself.
George Clooney and Brad Pitt in the blockbuster hit, Ocean's Eleven executed business casual with ease. Their professional but laid back style made perfect fashion sense. Going business casual means knowing when to wear undershirts paired with mens suits. It is possible to wear an undershirt and keep it hidden with your top button un-buttoned. Leave the cheaper brands for working around the house. Purchase a quality designer V-neck or crewneck undershirt to wear with your suit. This will be the perfect addition to your wardrobe. This look leads to the allure of refinement while allowing for the protection or the warmth needed from the undershirt.
Important Tips for Mens Suits Etiquette
Fashion isn't the only concern you should have with your undershirts. Aside from knowing that you should never wear one as outerwear, this bares mentioning twice, it is important to remember:
- Your undershirt should fit correctly. No one likes to look larger than they are, so don't opt for a loose fitting undershirt. This will only be more noticeable under your mens suits. Too tight will be uncomfortable. Take the time to try on a variety of sizes in order to find the right one for you.
- Your undershirt should never have those ugly yellow stains. If you have this problem it's time to replace your deodorant. The yellow stains are caused by your body's sweat interacting with the chemical aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly, found in many deodorants. Look for a deodorant that does not have this chemical and you will be stain free.
Now that you know the fashion etiquette for mens undershirts, you can dress with confidence, knowing you are wearing your mens suits correctly.